Wednesday, May 25, 2011

BookExpo America

I love a good book event.

This morning, while catching up on some tweets, I stumbled across one from Jimmy Fallon: "I'm at Javits Center for BookExpo. I'm signing Thank You Notes book @ Booth 3620. Come say hi!"

I wish I could, Jimmy. I wish I could.

The fact that I have an unnatural crush on Jimmy Fallon aside, it would just be such a fun event to get to attend.  Taking place in NYC, however, it's not exactly something I can just drop in to in the middle of the week. The expo has hundreds of exhibitors, like authors and publishing companies, that you can visit, learn about, get autographs from, and more. Check out the list of exhibitors here.


I'm promoting this event to some degree, I guess, because BookExpo Canada, like so many other Canadian book events, has fallen through the cracks.  The event unravelled a few years ago when major Canadian publishers like Random House Canada pulled out to participate solely in BookExpo America which is billed as "North America's Book Exhibition."

Regardless, since it's BookExpo week and there is a spirit of celebrating books in the air, I wanted to share some of that excitement here, even if I can't attend in person.

I saw this commercial on TV the other day and instantly loved it. It celebrates everything I love about books!


(Please disregard the fact that it's advertising a product. I don't own a NOOK (I own a Sony Reader), and I am in no way trying to promote this particular eReader).

No comments: