Monday, June 18, 2012

Keep It Current: National Zoo & Aquarium Month

In addition to books, I love animals. Always have.

There were quite a few topics on my radar for today's current events blog like, Luminato (but it just ended), a recommended summer reading list (but that's not really a current event), the walk across the falls (but that wasn't really as exciting as it could have been), or Friday Night Live @ the ROM (but not all of my readers are from Toronto, so who would care!?)

Anyway... I ended up stumbling upon the fact that June is National Zoo and Aquarium Month. I think sometimes zoos get a bad reputation for being a terrible place. And don't get me wrong, sometimes they can be. But I also think that done right, a zoo can be a wonderful place for humans and animals to interact. For people to learn about the environment and how our actions can affect some really amazing creatures. I mean, zoos also pilot projects to prevent some animals from extinction and I don't think there's anything wrong with that!

So, on my hunt for something great to discuss today, I found a quiz to test your knowledge of animals in Canadian literature -- I scored a 50% (and admittedly guessed on 70% of them!) It's not easy!

How did you do?

No comments: