Monday, June 11, 2012

Keep It Current: Honorary Doctorates

With so many convocations happening over the past weekend and probably next weekend, I think it's interesting to find out who has been recipients of the honorary doctorates. In fact, it's always one of the first questions I ask someone who has been to a convocation ceremony.

I was fortunate enough to have Stephen Lewis speak at one of my convocations. Though really, I'd have loved to have the likes of J.K. Rowling or maybe Jimmy Fallon. (Two long shots for a small, Northern Ontario university like Nipissing -- but a fun dream nonetheless).

I realize, of course, that Rowling received her honorary doctorate in 2008
so is not exactly "current" -- but she's an amazing inspiration and her speech
needed to be shared.

I was pretty excited to find out that Ryerson University in Toronto conferred their honorary degrees to three Canadian Literature superstars: Graeme Gibson, Rohinton Mistry, and Margaret Atwood.

This weekend I also had the pleasure of reading one of the most inspirational graduation speeches ever written. Probably because it mashed together all of the most inspirational speeches ever written. I'd link to it, but the Toronto Star website seems to be lacking that particular article. Instead I'll link to this blog that contains some pretty humorous and inspirational quotes from famous commencement addresses.

I'd love to be witness to any one of those honorary doctorates (especially Kermit). But what about you? Who would give the commencement address of your dreams?


Bestsellers
(According to the New York Times)

10. Rescue Me (Rachel Gibson)
9. Stolen Prey (John Sandford)
8. A Night Like This (Julia Quinn)
7. On The Island (Tracey Garvis-Graves)
6. 11th Hour (James Patterson and Maxine Paetro)
5. Fifty Shades Trilogy (E.L. James)
4. The Storm (Clive Cussler and Graham Brown)
3. Fifty Shades Freed (E.L. James)
2. Fifty Shades Darker (E.L. James)
1. Fifty Shades of Grey (E.L. James)

No comments: