Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Keep It Current: Libraries

I wasn't in a particularly blog frame of mind this weekend when it came to writing my new weekly Keep It Current post. So I deferred until today, when I stumbled upon a brief and interesting article about some major changes proposed to a New York library.


Read the article here -- "Is This the End of Libraries as we Know Them?"

The Gist of It: There exists a proposed plan to turn a famous New York library into a circulation library by storing the bulk of the materials off-site, adding more computers, and possibly a cafe in order to make the library more of a "community hub." Like any proposal, the idea is being met with resistance by those who believe this will "diminish the role of the library as an important research facility."

My Opinion: I'm on the fence on this one. Although I agree that a library needs books, I think that in this evolving age of technology, libraries need to evolve too. In Toronto there is so much talk about closing libraries and cutting back hours, that I can't help but feel that if we changed the function and perception of our libraries that just maybe they could thrive again. I think a library would be a fantastic "hub" of a community. A place to relax, enjoy yourself, meet some people, and learn.

What do you think?

No comments: