Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Funnies #14

If there's one thing I've noticed since I've started teaching, besides my severe slacking in blogging, it's the severe slacking in grammar... More specifically in the ability to use a comma correctly.

I've always taught students that when composing a list you must include a comma after each item. This includes before "and" and your final item.

Example: Jane likes apples, bananas, and oranges.

I've been told this is incorrect. I've been told this is outdated. I do it anyway.

Recently, thanks to the wonder that is shared photos on Facebook, I've learned that my usage of that last comma in a list is called the Oxford comma, and today I'd like to dedicate my blog post to that endangered comma.

Oxford Comma, this one's for you!



And finally, I'd like to share the importance of all commas everywhere.



Enjoy your weekend! ... And SAVE THE COMMAS!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I've heard there's no right or wrong here, but unfortunately for you, I am anti-Oxford comma!