Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day. I had a wonderful long-weekend with my family at my sister and brother-in-law's new house. Thanks for asking!

To further commemorate this most gracious of holidays, I thought I'd create a short list of the books I am most thankful for.

1. The Babysitters Club series: Thank you for getting me to love reading at a young age. I not only owe you for instilling in me this love of reading, but for also inspiring several fleeting childhood clubs of my own.






  

2. The Harry Potter series: Thank you for getting a new generation of kids to love reading. And thank you for giving nerds everywhere (ones just like me), a magical world in which to get lost in, pretend could actually exist, and share with our own kids someday.






  
3. To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye: Thank you for being some of the very few interesting and exciting books forced upon me in high school. I may not have said so back then, but I appreciate having had the opportunity to read some relevant and game-changing classics even if at the time I didn't see them as such.






4. Anything by Nora Roberts: Thank you for being easily digested in a wonderful way. In university I might have been tempted to hide you behind a copy of the complete works of William Shakespeare, but now I respect you for being true to what you are. I celebrate pleasure-reading in its simplest (most popular) form and don't know how I would be sane today without you to use as an escape.






5. Handling Sin by Michael Malone: Thank you for changing the way I buy books. 2 years ago at a bookstore I took a chance on a giant book by an author unknown to me, and I loved every minute of reading it. Since then, I'm not afraid to read what I don't know. This has truly changed everything.








What books are you thankful for?

No comments: